[fedora-india] [Fwd: [ilugd] Fedora 10 Subnet mask changes]

Tejas Dinkar tejasdinkar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 10:58:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008, "Sankarshan (????????????????????????)" sent out 1.0K bytes to say:
> I installed Fedora 10, but when I enter 255.255.255.0 in the subnet mask, it
> automatically changes to the default gateway address, I am using static IP
> setting and am not using the new network manager.

Please don't flame me, but why not just use network Manager.

You can set up a static IP address in NetworkManager (right click->edit
connections->edit). Unless it's a box that you plan to use as a server,
in which case I suggest just using good old ifconfig.

Or, edit the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (after
running system-config-network) and just setting the stuff manaully
there.

In any case, if you are setting your IP address as 192.168.xxx.xxx, your
subnet mask should default to 255.255.255.0 (at least, via ifconfig)
--
Tejas Dinkar
http://gja.in