[fedora-india] no meetings happening consistently for months now.

Dhaval Giani dhaval at thegianis.in
Sun Dec 14 20:30:58 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Dhaval Giani wrote:
>> Rakesh Pandit wrote:
>>> Hello list, Was there any meeting today ? We were supposed to have one
>>> today at 6:30 pm ?
>>>

>> Hi Rakesh,
>>
>> I am curious. Are these meetings useful? Do you gain anything out of
>> them? What is the aim of fedora-india?
>
> The aim of Fedora India as a group is build and grow the community of
> contributors to Fedora and FOSS in India. The meetings have been useful
> for a number of things

A scary question here. So what have been results from the fedora india
community? And how much have the IRC meetings helped. (As in, did you
get any firm new contributor out of these IRC meetings, or did other
things help, and what helped the most?)

> * To keep track of what each other is doing and help out when we can.
> Getting started with a new project or cross reviewing each other's
> packages for example

ML seems to work better here, except when real time assistance is required.

> * Help organize events

ML is much better here.

> * To have IRC classes or workshops to teach and work on something - be
> it getting started or a new project like say review-o-matic,  packaging,
> participating in some new tool development or something else related to
> the project

Makes sense.

> Without meetings, I don't know what the exact status of projects like
> review-o-matic. Has it been proposed as a Fedora 11 feature yet? It
> hasn't been working out as well it used to, primarily because I, for
> various reasons couldn't continue to lead the meetings and others
> haven't filled the gap either (my bad, since it wasn't discussed as much
> as it could have been).

Why not send weekly updates on mailing lists?

<snip about how to help>

> Let me know if any of this makes sense and if you want to help. On the
> other hand, if others don't find it as useful, we can just continue
> using the mailing lists for real work and occasional IRC chats for
> getting help and social banter.

While I don't have anything against the meeting in general, just the
fact that I believe that mailing lists serve the purpose better.

Dhaval