Mirror fun aka insights requested

susmit shannigrahi thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com
Mon May 19 08:37:13 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
<foss.mailinglists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, so something seems to be not working here.
>
> The list at http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/9/i386/ lists
> IIT-M and NITH
>
> Yet, I don't seem to be falling back on IIT-M if NITH times out, I land up
> with some .jp servers.
_From fedora-infrastructure _
Mirrormanager works like this:

[quote]
Right now, it collects various lists of Hosts to return (same
netblock, same country, same continent, global). It shuffles (python
random.shufle()) each of
the lists, then concatenates them, and sends that result to the end
user.  However, this does not take into account that one mirror has a
45Mbps link, and another a 2Mbps; they would each get chosen
"randomly".

What I need is a replacement for random.shuffle() that takes a list of
tuples: (something, weight).  And returns a list of somethings that
was generated with a statistical sampling based on weight.
[/quote]

Susmit.

ssh
0x86DD170A