F9, FreeMedia and questions around it

susmit shannigrahi thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com
Thu May 22 15:03:00 UTC 2008

> I had a single question around F9 and FreeMedia and the latter specifically.
> What is a more pressing problem -

Both are doable easily.

> [1] ensuring that every request gets a media

This can be done with a much reasonable cost by creating hierarchical
point of contacts.
Say we produce 5000 DVD for a release.
Say Pune gets 500 for the whole release, so may be that shipped to you,
and there are 10 Ambassadors. So may you ask them to pick up required
amount based on demand and other parameters.

> [2] getting the initial media set to those who are participating in the
> FreeMedia program so as to enable them to reach out to the requests

Easy, the media is available at least 4-5 days before release. So
produce them in small quantity and ship them to the contributors,
using speed post or couriour. So they will receive before release and
can use them as a master copy. That would require max 50 INR for each
shipment (both i386 and x86_64 included).

> If, [1] is the need of the day, we would try to get a substantial number of
> LiveMedia created and shipped to a select few folks based on the trends of
> FreeMedia requests. Besides getting them to MirrorManagers in India.

Let both [1] & [2] continue.
We accept a fixed number of free requests, say 50 each month for if
someone really need them.

Given the option to choose from [1] & [2] I shall choose [2], because,
when someone afford a computer, he/she can afford one or two DVD
without any problem.

But keeping [1] alive is recommended because if someone is new to
fedora and  _suspicious_ about how good is it, but wants to try it
out, he/she generally would be more interested in a FreeMedia rather
than spending for it.

> If, [2] is seem to be the bottleneck, then it would be an easier task to
>  generate a Everything (x86 and x86_64) and a LiveMedia set created and sent
> to folks who would agree to be contact points across regions.

It is _not_ a bottleneck. As my professors say , a distributed system
can not be bottlenecked. :)

> The constraints in the scenario are:
>
> i] there is only a finite number of LiveMedia that can be created
> ii] postage and courier charges are the ones where most money is spent

This can be reduced by bulk posting, as I said for example, sending
all the quota of Pune to you, and get that distributed among local
cantacts/Ambassadors.

> iii] the quantity of LiveMedia done as per [1] has to be consumed before F10
> is out
>
> So, what do I push to get done ?

According to me, a reasonable number, (fixed after discussion, may be
anything between 2000-5000) of media produced for each release.

Susmit.

ssh
0x86DD170A
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/SusmitShannigrahi