[fedora-india] getting college involved with fedora

sankarshan sankarshan at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 10 07:11:40 UTC 2009

Hi Anirudh,

You bring forward an interesting question.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Anirudh Singh
Shekhawat<shekhawat.anirudh at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Well the whole point of this is, that i want to do some *real* foss work in
> college and get it involved with the mainstream fedora
> contributing/developer community. I want to make a list of things which can
> be done, so then I can talk to my HOD and start things over. So suggest me
> with things which we can do here.

A good place to start would be to assess the skills of yourself and,
the ones around you who could form the nucleus of this effort. It is
somewhat given that once the initial folks start doing things, they
gain confidence to start coaching others into participating and
contributing.

> I've some ideas on the lines of:-
> # make students use fedora in programming and other tasks in college.

Good idea. A way to start would be to ensure that you have yourself
started using Fedora/FOSS to complete programming assignments and, so
forth. That way, it would become easier for you to say "look, here's
how I do it, and I am sure that we can sit together and, show you how
as well"

> # getting them involved with different mainstream projects under
> fedoraproject.

This is based on skill-sets and, interests. Hence, it becomes
mandatory for you to keep an eye and, an ear open to spot interests
and, perhaps get them introduced on this list. That should allow us to
guide them appropriately. And, would also allow you to keep track of
the discussion so that you function as a somewhat "local mentor"

> # contribution on the basis of quality rather than quantity.
> # make college or rather jaipur a hub of foss community work.
>
> This will also involve lug and the same things could also be implemented in
> other colleges, since there are a few others, where we've conducted
> workshops as part of lug and have been using fedora all the way.

Good stuff. Feels good to read about these ideas.

/sankarshan