[fedora-india] Feasibility of a Repository Dump of F 10

susmit shannigrahi thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 04:33:45 UTC 2009

> For some of my Linux friends who do not have any Net connection I want
> Fedora to be available. And quite a few of them are on Fedora 10, and
> so I would like to have a dump of the Fedora repository, together with
> matching rpmfusion.org repository.

Actually, you need two things.
1. The Everything directory, from where new softwares will be installed.
2. The Updates directory, from where the updates will be installed.
You can choose to omit the iso folder and the Fedora folder.
They are not needed for yum or packagekit.

But, there are a lot of sub-directories inside the Everything, like debug, ppc.
So you have to exclude those from pulling.

> What will be the best (read easiest, I know very little of technical
> things) method of doing this? Long back, once, Susmit Shannigrahi
> wrote some rsync scripts personally for that. But I have lost them.

Rsync is still the best way ;)
BTW, that time livna didn't support rsync, this time, rpmfusion will do.

> And is there any easier way, or, better, some captive software for
> this? And what will be the approximate size of this? Within say 200 or
> 300 GB? That time it came within less than 40 GB.

Depends on what you want to keep.
The size estimate for each directory is given here
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/DIRECTORY_SIZES.txt

Thanks.

I can send you an article

Susmit.