[fedora-india] BIT Linux User Group's Fedora Workshop and Install Fest

Aditya Patawari adimania at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 07:03:07 UTC 2009

The series of Linux workshops highlighting Fedora11 ended on 16 evening.
These workshops were organized by *BIT Linux User Group* with the help of
the two Fedora Ambassadors (Me and Debjit Saha).

*Workshop 1* : Date 10 Aug 2009.
This workshop was organized for newbies and especially for the fresher batch
of our college. We started off by showing some cool compiz effects on
fedora11 gnome. Even after attending the classes from 8:00 to 5:00, more
than 60 people turned up, some out of enthusiasm others out of curiosity. We
had some slides prepared by our volunteers. We showed them the alternatives
of windows applications available for linux, like for media player we have
rhythmbox. We also had some "Tux v/s Windows" fight videos. We told them
about benefits of installing fedora (A distro which comprises every latest
stuff and yet it is highly stable). All this made up an environment for the
install fest which was scheduled the next day. We also invited feedbacks in
the nd. Most of them were positive though some were a bit disappointed that
we didn't bashed windows to a greater extent.
Photographs : http://picasaweb.google.com/lug.bitmesra/10August2009

*Workshop 2 : *Date 11 August 2009
It was a holiday and yet one of the busiest day for us. We had permission to
use the college lab. As we reached there, we found a couple of enthusiast
already waiting for installation eagerly. We had a total of 7 volunteers and
slightly above 80 installations. Fedora11 DVDs were also distributed for
free. Since we have a local repository in our campus we thought it to be
wise if we write a script for the installation of some common softwares and
to add the local repositories. For desktops Debjit had arranged for network
boot. The fest was a huge success as till date we have people who are
approaching us after seeing the laptops on which we installed fedora on
install fest.
Photographs : http://picasaweb.google.com/lug.bitmesra/11August2009

*Workshop 3* : Date 16 August 2009
This workshop was organized for more advanced users. We expected about
80-100 participants but we were astonished to see the rush. We had about 200
participants! So we decided to take the same workshop twice. We started off
by telling basics of shell scripting and then made our way towards
"Virtualization on Fedora". We had a little Question-Answer session after
that. We also invited users to share their experiences with fedora. At the
end we had a small slide show about "How to Contribute to Fedora Project".
We had the sides made with the help of "join Fedora" page on wiki.
Photographs : http://picasaweb.google.com/lug.bitmesra/16August2009

--
Aditya Patawari
http://blog.adityapatawari.com/