[fedora-india] Mirroring Fedora

Roshan Singh singh.roshan08 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 14:08:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Salvadesswaran P.S. <
salvadesswaran at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Have you already downloaded it? if yes, how? using wget ot
> > something?
>
> I'm using GWGet.. Currently 40% over. Hope to complete it by Monday
> cos I'm on 2-8 unlimited plan. I need the repository for my friends in
> college hostel where the proxy server(squid of course) limits external
> downloads to 25 MB. We're going to ask our college admin to provide an
> internal mirror for the 50 odd Fedora 11 users. I helped them install
> but updates are tough with this policy.

I have done a similar thing at NITD, you could have used rsync instead of
using wget. Take a look at the public mirrors that support rsync here
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/11/i386/ . IITK mirror
does not support that, right now and the bandwidth for IITM is very less.

So choose any other mirror and just run this command

rsync -av <url to the directory to be copied> <path to the directory where
it has to be saved>
url is usually of this type rsync://ftp.iitm.ac.in/fedora.
Its better to use rsync because it can be put in cron to automatically
update the repositories.

Google about rsync.

--
Roshan Kumar Singh