[fedora-india] FOSS.IN 2009 retrospective

Aanjhan R aanjhan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 11:40:31 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> We have a fairly well rounded team in Fedora. Susmit does infrastructure
> work. Hiemanshu does websites. A bunch of us do various upstream
> projects, packaging, QA etc. That is not accidental and I believe it
> leads to a healthier community. The challenge is breaking down chunks of
> it enough to mentor and recruit new contributors.  Let me note that
> within India, among distributions, we have by and far, the largest base
> of contributors. So I don't believe we are slacking. Just that we can do
> better and that's always going to be the case.

Agreed. A community like Fedora does need a well rounded team and I
never mentioned we are slacking. So wrt the challenge - I feel there
is fairly a neat list out here http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join . I
dont see what more needs to be done to get more people interested and
get started. The only important thing to take care is not to lose
interested people. Forcing does'nt work. For all we are volunteers :)

Basically as I always felt, it all boils down to being interested /
individuality. No amount of cajoling will help in the long term.

Regards,
Aanjhan