[fedora-india] FOSS.IN 2009 retrospective

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Dec 13 07:06:21 UTC 2009

On 12/13/2009 12:21 PM, steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This thread started with a discussion about FOSS.IN, which I had planned
> on attending but unfortunately had to cancel those plans at the last
> moment. Although, it now has brought out a few good points about
> contribution, so I would like to submit my 2p worth.
>
> As a packager, one of the biggest turn-offs for me used to be the
> turn-around time for the reviews. I've submitted my first package for
> review in F9 (or early F10), i think, but got my first one accepted
> sometime in the late F10 cycle.

That's pretty fast considering the length of the review queue and yes
its one of the long standing problems. It would help if people volunteer
to do more reviews. Every package maintainer can do reviews except for
non sponsored first time review of a new package maintainer.

http://fedoraproject.org/PackageReviewStatus/

However, once i accepted the delays, it
> became easier for me to just submit and wait for a review.
>
> So, IMHO, besides generating the initial enthusiasm, it is also
> important that we have a way of sustaining it. This can be done by
> either setting real expectations on the delays involved for initial
> contributions to get through or by decreasing in some manner these delays.
>
> We could for instance ask new contributors to send out a mail here to
> fedora-india list mentioning their BZs so that someone responds more
> quickly.

I am not sure how to direct potential package maintainers to do that?