[fedora-india] Fedora India : Meet on 20th Sunday? 1130 AM IST?

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 07:03:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 10:46 +0530, sankarshan wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We are trying to hold regular meetings every fortnight. The last was on
> > the 6th of Dec and didn't see much participation.
> >
> > Please be there on the 20th at 1130AM for another fedora-india meeting
> > on #fedora at Freenode.
>
> Ankur, thanks for leading this.
>
> > Agenda:
> >
> > - New folks on the team can introduce themselves
>
> With respect to the above, is it possible to include an item which
> would allow the first time packagers or, those who have packages under
> review (but pending for long) to allow others to help them out ?

Yeah, sounds good. Folks, please propose ideas for this?

> > - Questions/queries to be discussed.
> > - If there are people interested in learning RPM packaging, I could take
> > a quick hands on session for font packages to get them started (like
> > mether had done a year or so ago to get me started ;) )
>
> I'd request that this be undertaken separately.

<snip>
Okay, We'll take this off the agenda and schedule it at another time at
a dedicated session.

> [snip]
>
> > I'd also like to know what you rates you folks pay for getting media
> > mass pressed. I enquired at a site and have been given 27/dvd for 500
> > copies and 32/dvd for 300 copies[1]. Comments?
>
> Would you like to elaborate on the above please ? What is the need to
> mass produce media ?

I had just expected it to be cheaper. My experiences with burning DVDs
on my laptop result in a lot of wastage while also taking a lot of my
time. The DVDs I burn and send do not have the fedora DVD label on them
(the labels etc give a more "official" look to the mailed media).
Instead they have a sick looking moserbaer or sony top with a "fedora
$release $arch dvd" written using a marker. I was just looking around. I
had thought that ambassadors in neighbouring regions could get media
mass burnt collectively, reducing costs (since cost/dvd is inversly
proportional to number of dvds ordered). I want to have some copies of
Fedora media and the release notes at each hostel's "checkin/reception".
There are 17hostels at college, with about 15-20 copies at each, plus
the freemedia requests and (install fests) I could service, comes to
about 400 DVDs. It is a thought stream which doesn't look viable
currently. The idea is to make fedora media available more freely at
college, to such an extent that folks don't need to request media, just
pick and install. I'll stick to copies of the release notes or something
similiar for the time being.

If someone has better media producing rates, please let the list know.

further reading ;) [1]

regards,
Ankur

[1]