[Fedora-India] Request for speaker

Aanjhan R aanjhan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 10:20:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 5:45 AM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, i think that would be a great thing to do. May i have the details
> to the requirements for this please?

Well that was the first time we tried something like this. You can do
the remote conference in many ways.

1. Use Skype. (Disadvantage you might need to use two projectors one
to see the face of the presenter + the other one to run the slides or
the demo , but I must say Debayan managed it excellently wellwith one
projector)

2. I became interested in video conference and tried googling some
tools if they are already available. I could find many many tools.
http://www.palbee.com is one of them. It gives you a white board for
you to draw things and show also. But for some reason - may be missing
flash plugins, it works on Ubuntu Firefox and not on Fedora's (may be
I didnt install some extra flash plugin)

3. try to google and ask around others what they use when they have video talks.

Some basic setup;

1. Run trial run with the speaker before hand. You migh tend up in a
chaos otherwise. Also you will realise several things that You forgot
or thought it to be implicit.

2. Make sure everything, including mic from the audience side works.
It will be great to have a wireless mic in place so that some one can
go around, for questions from the audience. Help in being more
interactive.

3. You dont need a very very good Internet connection. A decent 256 -
512 Kbps connection is sufficient IMO. (I have skyped on such
connections, and the results are not bad at all)

4. Getting a good webcam on both sides will help enhance the
experience. Cheapo webcams can degrade the experience a lot. I am now
motivated to get a better webcam :P

5. Even after all these precautions, you cant help if internet goes
"b0rk" 5 minutes before the presentation. Really it might sound funny.
But it happened :d

Have fun! I think its a nice idea to take internet to the next level
of personalisation that to keep it confined to mailing lists and IRC.
<-- Quote Stolen from a good friend Praveen

Regards,
Aanjhan