[fedora-india] Fwd: [Ambassadors] remember the mission

Wed Feb 18 04:40:57 UTC 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com>
Date: Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:13 PM
Subject: [Ambassadors] remember the mission
To: fedora-ambassadors-list at redhat.com

When you put your Ambassadors hat on (as opposed to any of your other
roles in Fedora), remember:

(1) You give a face and a name to Fedora.  You are a person, friendly
and approachable.  Fedora is big and scary, but you are going to help
make sure that *one person* finds their way through all the confusion
into the place where they can contribute.

(2) You are the glue.  You help connect different people in different
parts of the Project, because you are always dealing with people whose
interests are different.  You should be eager and happy to work with
other parts of Fedora to solve problems.

(3) People are the key.  Everything that we do -- events, budgets,
swag, membership verifications, blogging -- it's all done as an
attempt to make personal connections with folks who either want to use
or contribute to Fedora.  Places where Ambassadors get together are
one of the few times that Fedora contributors have an opportunity to
meet face to face (other than FUDCons and FADs).

(4) You are the expert in your region.  You understand the culture,
the needs, and the best ways to communicate about Fedora and FOSS in
your region.  FAmSCo and other "leaders" in Fedora *work for you*, and
need to listen to what you are saying makes sense.  We can't ignore
the global picture, but we need to be flexible in adapting to local
needs.

These are things I have been thinking about while reading
ambassadors-list recently.

--Max