[fedora-india] Finally prepared the offline repo for the Install Fest at Kalyani Govt. College

Ratnadeep Debnath rtnpro at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 19:16:50 UTC 2009

Hi,
First time when I created a 600 MB repo for Fedora 10 during the
Install Fest at BCREC on 30 Jan 2009, funny as it might sound, I did
quite absurd things and it took me a lot of time ( 2 days). I then
installed F10 in VBox, and was trying to install the packages to see
their dependencies, then download them manually. What a time!

But, now what I did was
yum resolvedep <package-name>
Then either install them keeping the yum cache on
or,
yumdownloader <package-names>

I also added the the Packages from the F10 Install DVD, so that there
is no Dependency failure if one does an installation selecting the
default packages only. Also this time I included the KDE 4.2 update,
and it is better to do a
yum groupinstall kde-desktop
for that.
To enable group install in your repo, copy the comps-f10.xml file from
/var/cache/yum/updates/comps-f10.xml
to your repo folder, then create repo in the following way-------
createrepo -g comps-f10.xml /path/to/repo_folder/

Now all you need is a .repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d/ which has the
information on the baseurl for offline installation.
The present size of my repo is approx. 3.6 GB. It works nicely.
The repo can be on any media ( from internal disks to USB flash drives
and DVDs). You can mount the repo folder to /var/ftp/pub/ in case you
are using an FTP server.

Thank you
Regards,
Ratnadeep Debnath