[fedora-india] Can anyone help Roshan in setting up a local repo ?

Ratnadeep Debnath rtnpro at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 09:43:07 UTC 2009

Hello,
I kind of made a local repo for Fedora 10 and I am using that quite
nicely for sometime.
Get all the rpms ( those stored in your /var/cache/yum/) and check if
any dependencies are missing. If so, get all the dependencies. You can
do this by :

$yum resolvedep <package_name>

Also, to avoid dependency failure, if all the Fedora Packages in the
Install DVD are not installed, I copied all the RPMs in the Packages
folder of the Installation DVD in the tartget RPM folder. Now you can
create a repo in this way:

$createrepo <location to the folder containing the RPMs>

But this will not allow you to do a "groupinstall: from the repo. "yum
groupinstall" can be enabled in the following way:
$createrepo -g <location to comps.xml> <location to the RPM folder>

comps##.xml can be found in /var/cache/yum/updates/.

Now you need to create a .repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d/. The
following is my fedora-local.repo :

[fedora-local]
name=Fedora 10 - i386 - Local
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=ftp://laptop.org/pub/fedora/releases/9/Everything/i386/os/
#************The following line is the URL of the Repo folder**************
baseurl=ftp://127.0.0.1/pub/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=0
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-i386

Since I setup an ftp server, and then mounted the repo folder in
/var/ftp/pub/ ( $mount --bind <location of repo> /var/ftp/pub/), I
used  my LO IP 127.0.0.1.
To install from the offline repo, you can always do
$yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=fedora-local <package name>

I hope this will be of help.
Regards,
rtnpro
http://ratnadeepdebnath.wordpress.com/