[fedora-india] Assembling all the available tasks and find people for them.

Thu Jan 29 04:07:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Rakesh Pandit <rakesh.pandit at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/21 susmit shannigrahi <thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com>:

>> As a community, we are doing real bad when it comes to mentoring new
>> people and getting them into the loop.
>> The problem, seems to be inability to identify the works available/
>> areas of interest for new people.

> Well other then packaging and developing something upstream and
> targeting it for next fedora release, we can also highlight some tasks
> related to internal in house fedora applications or bug triage or even
> infrastructure work. But I am not sure how do we reach audience ?

By being vocal about this. Vocal = talking about this in public. There
are 'n' number of circumstances (for very large values of 'n') where I
see students going around with the "I want a Summer Project" look.
Let's match expectations with some of our goals and try and do the
small things.

Why small things ? Because most of us have day jobs and cannot take on
the complexity of mentoring for longer periods. Think about the time
window of GSoC and do something similar. Doing it well has an upside -
we help create better contributors. We *want* better contributors. We
form a vibrant community. We love a vibrant community.

> Yes, real problem is not identifying tasks, but pointing them to
> folks. And yes "reporting", "discussing" and "announcing the progress"
> or status of "tasks being done right now" is a good way of doing that,
> even if folks involved right now are less in number.

The problem which I see is a lack of a listing of tasks. So, for
example, if half a dozen reasonably competent students came up and
asked for 4 different tasks/projects - do we have it listed in
somewhat of a complete form as it is on the Seneca wiki ?

> I am not too sure about how it will go nor about how will we be
> picking audience, but +1 for experimenting.

+100 for experimenting - what's the downside ? We can fall flat on our
face. We can always pick ourselves up and shake off the dust.