[fedora-india] Usability Pondering- Yum

Tejas Dinkar tejasdinkar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 17:42:34 UTC 2009

Somethings, like yum update --enablerepo=rawhide are JUST irreversible.

Also, you yum (like most console apps) doesn't only accept input at the
prompt. If you accidently pressed enter, even when loading repo data,
that enter is passed onto the prompt.

Try it:
# yum update <enter> <enter>

Now aren't you glad than N is the default?

Anyway, there is no prompt for read only actions, like deplist and info
(and they don't need root)

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009, Ashok Gautham sent out 1.2K bytes to say:
> When I use yum and install software, N is the default choice.
> I feel that from usability perspective, yes should be the default
> value. I wanted to know if there was any motive behind this
> strange choice. Or was it that the developers of yum felt people
> would use install instead of info or deplist?
>
> (However, I do feel that no must the be default as it is for
> removal of packages)
>
> Also, I feel that for a system, one version of a package that has
> been downloaded should be kept on the hard disk and could
> be overwritten by the next release of the package. If a user
> installs a package and then uninstalls it and finally reinstalls it,
> he should not be redownloading the package. I find that only
> the downloaded and yet-to-be-installed packages are present
> in /var/cache/yum/*. The manpage of yum tells me that they are
> not automatically removed. But I found them to be automatically
> deleted after they have been installed(Fedora11)
>
> On further probing, I found keepcache to be set to 0 in
> /etc/yum.conf. This contradicts with the manpage.
>

> ---
> Ashok `ScriptDevil` Gautham

Tejas Dinkar
http://gja.in