[fedora-india] A report on FOSS GN 09 event at Engineering College Bikaner(Rajasthan)

Wed Nov 18 23:28:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 1:26 AM, shreekant bohra <skbohra123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, we too are excited about it, what next ? After the FOSS event the
> awareness about FOSS has increased exponentially in our college. More and
> more students are turning towards FOSS. We setup a LUG on the closing day
> and 100 students have registered themselves as the member. As a part of LUG
> we have organized 3 fedora installfest after the event , in different
> hostels of the college, one of the installfest was organized in Girls
> hostel, managed totally by girls,  member of LUG.  Our Next step is to turn
> people towards development, and convert them into contributors, for this we
> are soon going to organize workshops and start small open source projects in
> which students can take part.

I'd suggest that you try and take help from folks on #fedora-india as
much as possible. There are a lot of small project ideas which have
immediate use and, can help build confidence in those desiring to get
their feet wet in the area of contributing. As quickly as we can move
from having installfests into the area of having regular and scheduled
contribution-centric workouts, the more successful would be your
investment of time and energy.

Fix up a date on which you'd like to have folks from the institute on
the IRC, let the list know and, we can engage in a nice conversation.

> As a effect of FOSS GN 09, some of the participants from other colleges
> around Bikaner , are also organizing FOSS events and we are helping them out
> in spreading the FOSS love, Govt Engineering College Jhalawar, Jodhpur
> Engineering College and Research Centre and Jodhpur Institute of Engineering
> and Technology students have contacted us and are planning FOSS event.

This is indeed good to hear.

> So we have just ignited the FOSS Fire and determined convert it into big
> flame, Hail FOSS.
> As a side note, around 20 members of LUGB are attending FOSS.IN event at
> Bangalore , the event will surely help them understand FOSS more closely.

For those who would be interested, there are activities around Fedora
that are being coordinated by Kushal, Rahul and Susmit (kushal, mether
and susmit on IRC). Please get in touch. Having in-person meetings to
kickstart activities is a great thing to happen.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>