[fedora-india] DVD writer troubles

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Sun Oct 4 12:18:06 UTC 2009

Hi,

On 10/02/2009 09:53 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do realize this isnt the right place for the query, but I really dint
> know where else to ask.

Well, what makes you think this isn't the right place ? :). Of course, you'd get
more people trying to help you if you posted on fedora-list[1], so you should
consider posting there, but posting here is fine too.

> My fedora system cannot burn dvds properly. That is, my laptop burner
> and the new USB burner I got just today. I'm using "wodim" and it
> continually wastes dvds.

I don't know about wodim, but here are some tips to narrow down the problem:

a. Check that the ISO file you are trying to burn isn't corrupt. Quick way would
be to mount it:
     $ mount -o loop -t iso9006 Fedora-11-i386-DVD.iso /mnt
     $ ls /mnt

...if that works, do a shasum check:
     http://fedoraproject.org/en/verify

b. If the ISO file is ok, try another tool like k3b or brasero (in fact, if I am
not mistaken, with an ISO file even a dd should work fine -- i remember doing
that a couple of times)

c. If writing still fails, I'd suspect the media. Try blank media from a
different set /brand -- sometimes one just gets unlucky with bad quality media.

d. If all else fails report back here or on fedora-list.

HTH,
cheers,
- steve

random non tech spiel: http://lonetwin.blogspot.com/