[fedora-india] Association with a startup in Bangalore

Joerg Simon jsimon at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 20 08:14:01 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 20 October 2009 07:24:47 Amit Pundir wrote:
> We are also using fedora for as server and its working nicely.

That is really interesting i heard that before, but only in cases where people
were surprised by not getting updates shortly after they implemented fedora as
server - or project managers who got fired by choosing fedora as a
serverplatform.
I know a larger project in Mozambique, where they prototyped Servers for an
rollout of several 1000 Systems. The project was finished, what do you think
how happy they were as they realised that the underlying prototype version -
which was new at the beginning of the project - is end of life since more than
a year?

Out of question that Fedora is technicaly a good Serverplatform.

How do you handle the short release cycle and how do you handle major changes
in key-applications during the lifecycle?

If i see that some people using outdated (and therefore unsecure) Versions on
a server, i get a bit angry, because they harm the Fedora Project by putting
Fedora's reputation in danger.

A System which is old and not updated will get abused some day for sure - as
wrote before, a abused Fedora System is not good for Fedora.

If someone is willing to take the risk for his own business, i am fine with it.
But if we recommend people Fedora as a Server Platform we should tell them -

"You can use this Fedora Version only 13 month(in the best case)"
"If you update your Fedora it could be, that things works differently after the
update"

There is nothing wrong in recommending CentOS which has updates for 5 years
and backported Features. And if you can handle Fedora - as one of our
downstreams and binary twin to rhel you can handle it as well. On some Events
here in Europe we share our Booth with the centos people because we are one
family.

cu Joerg
--
Joerg (kital) Simon
jsimon at fedoraproject.org
http://kitall.blogspot.com
Key Fingerprint:
3691 0989 2DCA 58A2 8D1F 2CAC C823 558E 5B5B 5688