[fedora-india] DVD writer troubles

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Sat Oct 31 08:09:43 UTC 2009

Hi Ankur,

On 10/31/2009 12:46 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> hi,
>
> More info:
>
> This ones from wodim..
>
> It burnt the entire thing and failed on "Fixating".. Sooo close :(

Hmm, just curious did you try booting with this DVD ? Fixating a disk only means
closing it off (I think it implies zeroing all remaining space on the disk). So,
it *might* be possible that all relevant data has been written and the DVD is
usable. I am just guessing here though.

Another thought that occurred to me is that it is also possible that you need a
firmware update for your drive. No kidding ! :).

I've seen at least 3 instances of laptops that needed firmware updates for DVDs
to work correctly. 2 dell model (D610 and D620) and my own lenovo Y410 (although
when i purchased it the update was already applied).

http://tinyurl.com/ybsouoe [Dell D610 update]
http://tinyurl.com/ya8jjjo [Dell D620 update]
http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_show_892.html

I don't have any thoughts about your external sony writer tho'.

I'd recommend that you check if firmware updates are available for your system,
and apply them and if that does work or there aren't any, i'd recommend that you
submit a bugzilla report describing your problem.

cheers,
- steve

--
random non tech spiel: http://lonetwin.blogspot.com/