[fedora-india] DVD writer troubles

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Sat Oct 31 12:13:29 UTC 2009

Hi,

On 10/31/2009 04:14 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 15:10 +0530, ElectroMech wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  Can you try following command to burn the dvd
>>
>>  To use growisofs to write a pre-mastered ISO-image to a DVD:
>>
>>              growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso
>>

> <snip>
>
> This one worked. Only for the laptop writer though.
>
> For the USB, it said :
>
> [Ankur at Ankur ~]$ growisofs -dvd-compat
> -Z /dev/sr1=/media/Winfuk/f11/Fedora-11-i386-DVD/Fedora-11-i386-DVD.iso
> :-( unable to open64("/dev/sr1",O_RDONLY): Permission denied
>
> I think installing "growisofs set-root-uid" as the man page says should
> work.. I'll try that.
>
> Thanks.. I can burn DVDs now. :D

Interesting to know growisofs worked but wodim didn't. I'd suggest you trace
down the problem and/or file a bug against wodim and other apps that failed. So
that they are able to handle whatever the problem was in the manner growisofs
does or failing that, error out in a meaningful manner which would point to the
source of the problem.

As for the second error also file a bug against growisofs or debug it further
and file a bug against the right component (most likely would turn out to be a
problem with HAL or udev).

I'd suggest getting a re-writeable CD/DVD media tho' :)

cheers,
- steve

PS: Please *do* file a bug even if you aren't that much into debugging. Lack of
bugs is what causes others to comment -- it works on windows but doesn't on linux.

--
random non tech spiel: http://lonetwin.blogspot.com/
tech randomness: http://lonehacks.blogspot.com/