[fedora-india] Media production

sankarshan sankarshan at fedoraproject.org
Sat Apr 3 13:13:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Hiemanshu Sharma
<hiemanshu at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> http://www.zyxware.com/requestcd/%252Fresults/field_distribution_name%3A%22Fedora%20%22 has
> fedora DVD for Rs. 30 and CD for Rs. 20 + Shipping. If we can get a nice
> budget we can workout a price with them for a lot of CDs.

For any given release we have noticed that LFY carries the DVD media.
Past performance is never an indication of future results but
irrespective of whether LFY or, the other technical magazine carry
media or not, it would be good to have a system where local UGs,
vendors/distributors are encouraged to retail the media and, make a
decent/reasonable profit by the way.

It would be a good idea to look for easier ways to incubate more such
retailers and, for starters asking folks like zyxware as to whether
they are in a position to offer stalls at events and sell their media.
For colleges and other institutions it makes more sense to seize the
opportunity to get tree(s) refreshed or, synchronized so that they can
have install-fests or, a machine capable of doing LiveUSB production.

Offering the media for "free" (as in gratis) doesn't seem to get us
very far. The demand is significantly high (cf. the Freemedia
requests) and, no budget would be "nice" enough.

<http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/info> is a model that we could use
should we choose to.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay