[fedora-india] request for speaker for our FOSS festival Mukti 2010

Fri Jan 8 04:55:58 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Debayan Banerjee <debayanin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to ask Arindam and Subhodip if they will be in Durgapur at the
> time of Mukti.

Additionally, please ask what they would like to talk about and
show-off during Mukti if they are in Durgapur.

>> barring Debayan, Shreyank and
>> Roshan,
>
> You forgot Rangeen.

Indeed I did and, my apologies to Rangeen on that score.

> When I left college last year, there were 2 competing trends that my batch
> had infused. One was free software, where Shreyank and I had made some
> inroads, and the second was TopCoder or similar online programming judges
> where Swapnil Sonawane and Rajat achieved milestones. As it turns out,
> Swapnil and Rajat ended up getting jobs on campus that paid the best (upto 3
> times what Shreyank or I get!!).

I might not be comprehending this properly. Why would participating in
online coding contests be a deterrent to contributing to Free and Open
Source Software ? Although, considering the part within parenthesis,
if that is how it is projected, will obviously skew the participation
in a way that nothing can counter.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>