[fedora-india] Project FOSS properly - was [Re: request for speaker for our FOSS festival Mukti 2010]

Aanjhan R aanjhan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 08:25:09 UTC 2010

>> When I left college last year, there were 2 competing trends that my batch
>> had infused. One was free software, where Shreyank and I had made some
>> inroads, and the second was TopCoder or similar online programming judges
>> where Swapnil Sonawane and Rajat achieved milestones. As it turns out,
>> Swapnil and Rajat ended up getting jobs on campus that paid the best (upto 3
>> times what Shreyank or I get!!).
>
> I might not be comprehending this properly. Why would participating in
> online coding contests be a deterrent to contributing to Free and Open
> Source Software ? Although, considering the part within parenthesis,
> if that is how it is projected, will obviously skew the participation
> in a way that nothing can counter.

On this note, I would like to add something. Not related to the topic
but related to the thing in brackets of Debayan's email. I agree money
is very important but as 'i-feel-philosophical-today-susmit' points ot
its a way you lead your life also matters. I wouldn't have quit my
well paying corporate job to take up research. I would be easily
getting 8L per annum now plus some overseas travel. yummy! Now I am a
student and intend to go for a PhD which most 'MBAs' term it
'live-like-a-beggar' for 4 years. But well, I know I am developing the
roots like a banyan tree to soar great heights.

And its all about how you project. I think you have forgotten the
'3-emails' sent by SM to dgplug list. I bring it up again.

http://www.tuxmaniac.com/blog/2008/11/03/foss-education-career-skill-development-the-relationship/

Regards,
Aanjhan