[fedora-india] request for speaker for our FOSS festival Mukti 2010

Debayan Banerjee debayanin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 03:09:31 UTC 2010

> I might not be comprehending this properly. Why would participating in
> online coding contests be a deterrent to contributing to Free and Open
> Source Software ?

People who participate in programming contest arenas spend a lot of time
getting accustomed to the arena rules and keep practicing whenever they are
free. These arenas have a ranking schemes which require consistent
performance. If you are a student, you generally choose what you want to do
with your free time.
Why dont these people choose to contribute to free software instead? The
biggest reason is the learning curve. Going through the process of
interacting with developers online, making sure that a particular feature is
indeed required and then going to work on it.
I remember Vignesh, my college friend, deciding to get a patch upstream. It
took him many months to get a sorting bug fixed with a few lines of code (I
think).
For the coder who spends his day writing O(log n) code to lookup n-ary trees
in limited time in programming contest arenas, looking for similar
issues/challenges of similar level in real world projects requires an insane
amount of time investment and also a lot of luck
Hence, from what I have seen is that the really good programmers who are
hooked onto the contest scene never look back at anything else. They just
keep going.
Can these people be converted to contribute to Free Software? Sure. We need
to ask them one question: What is your code being used for? Is it doing
anyone except you any good?
That may be the only way to convert the best of the lot. After that  active
mentoring and hand holding for a little while is desirable.

> Although, considering the part within parenthesis,
> if that is how it is projected, will obviously skew the participation
> in a way that nothing can counter.

No one projects that in that manner. That is how the world perceives it
naturally.
However, we as FOSS enthusiasts need to find ways to put across the right
message. A few mails back on this thread Aanjham told his own story. We need
people who can tell stories like these. People will always be motivated by
an inspiring story. It is my opinion that the better story/better
presentation has the strength to influence more people than a drab talk by
an accomplished contributor.
Roshan realises this, and hence wants good speakers with excellent
presentation skills.

Debayan Banerjee