[fedora-india] E-mail sending problem from Evolution mail in Fedora 12

dash pradipta dashpradipta2006 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 07:21:42 UTC 2010

Hi Saikat,

This problem happens if the system admin of the mail domain enables  spamd
or greylisting. Check by using telnet with your SMTP address of mail domain.
Traditionally, spamd when greylisting has always given a temporary failure
immediately after the RCPT TO command.

Try with the followings from your command prompt.

telnet mail.domain.ex
Trying ???.???.???.???...
Connected to mail.domain.ext.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.domain.ext ESMTP Sendmail ?version-number?; ?date+time+gmtoffset?
You will then need to delcare where you are sending the email from:
HELO local.domain.name - dont worry too much about your local domain name
although you really *should* use your exact fully qualified domain name as
seen by the outside world the mail server has no choice but to take your
word for it as of RFC822-RFC1123.
This should give you:
250 mail.domain.ext Hello local.domain.name [loc.al.i.p], pleased to meet
you

Now give your email address:
(On many mailservers the space after the : is required rather that optional.
Thanks to Justing Goldberg)
MAIL FROM: mail at domain.ext
Should yeild:
250 2.1.0 mail at domain.ext... Sender ok
Now give the recipients address:
RCPT TO: mail at otherdomain.ext
Should yeild:
250 2.1.0 mail at otherdomain.ext... Recipient ok

Hope this will help.

On 1/12/10, saikat saha <saikat.80in at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It is not Gmail or yahoo. It is an official account called
> "mail.rpchirag.com". In Microsoft outlook there are no problem sending
> e-mails. but from Evolution mail, It takes times to deliver the
> e-mails.
>
> Regards,
> Saikat
>
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 16:06 +0530, saikat saha wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am not able to send e-mail using my Evolution mail in Fedora 12. The
> >> server type is SMTP.
> >> It is showing an error message as follows:
> >>
> >> Error while Sending message.
> >>
> >> RCPT TO <***@***.com> failed: Temporary failure, please try again
> >> later. It is taking 10-20 minutes to deliver the e-mails.
> >>
> >> But there are no problem while receiving e-mail on it. Please suggest
> me.
> >>

> >> Thanks & Regards,
> >> Saikat Saha
> >
> > hey,
> >
> > What account are you using? Gmail, yahoo etc?
> >
> > regards,
> > Ankur
> >
> > PS : hopping on to #fedora or #fedora-india at freenode on the IRC will
> > give you quicker answers :)

Pradipta Kumar Dash.