[fedora-india] How to access an USB device via a VM ?

Ashwin ashwin.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 17:23:20 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 06 July 2010 09:28 PM, sankarshan wrote:
> Fedora 13, KVM runs Windows as guest. Need to access a USB device
> attached to the hardware from within Windows. I am seemingly missing
> something, can anyone point me to an URL etc ?

It is quite simple if you use virt-manager.Add a new hardware for the
given VM and choose the PCI/USB type, which will list the USB device
that you want to use (which should already be plugged in) and it will
show up as a new hardware found on windows guest OS.

If the windows is able to load the drivers correctly (which has no
guarantee and is a fault of a particular bill) it may work.

If you get stuck some where in the 1st para of the reply, ping again :)

Problems in 2nd para is discussed elsewhere ;)

with Regards,
ASHWIN