[fedora-india] Help regarding Fedora 13 Installation (dual-boot)

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 09:08:17 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 14:06 +0530, Suchakra wrote:
> Hi,
> Lots of guys are coming up to me asking how to dual boot Fedora 13 and
> Win (XP/7/Vista) on their systems. I guide them to manually partition
> their drives during Installation and have a separate free space for
> creating ext and swap partitions so as to avoid any hassles during
> installation. However many people are coming with just a SINGLE
> partition on the whole disk, having Windows and wish to install
> Fedora. The Fedora 13 installation is having a 'shrink' feature as I
> see. I tried it on a Windows VM in VirtualBox but it erased Windows
> and installed Fedora. I tried the shrink feature in Ubuntu 10.04 using
> a similar Windows VM and it made a dual boot machine successfully.
> Kindly help..where am I going wrong? Should I use GParted Live CD/USB
> [1]? Tomorrow is InstallFest and students with such queries are bound
> to come. Kindly help asap..
>
> [1] http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
>
> Suchakra

Hi,

It is best to ask them to use the Windows utility to shrink their
partitions and then make free space to be use for Fedora.

IIRC, you can right click on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management >
right click on your drive > shrink.

This is by far the safest way. However, sometimes it's a HUGE pain
because you need to disable and delete shadow files etc. I don't
remember the entire procedure any more. It's been a long time since I
dual booted.

The Fedora shrink feature should not erase the windows partition. Please
file a bug if this is reproducible. Using GParted should be fine too.

Also look at fedorasolved.org pages such as
> http://fedorasolved.org/post-install-solutions/dual-boot-with-windows

They contain a lot of info.
--