[fedora-india] Student not allowed for Ambassadorship?

Tejas Dinkar tejasdinkar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 00:36:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010, susmit shannigrahi sent out 1.2K bytes to say:
> <quote>
> We don't encourage students to be ambassadors. And it is impossible
> when you have no experience with FOSS.
>
> If you are interested, please have a look at join.fedoraproject.org
> and find out if any other role suits you best. If yes, subscribe to
> fedora-india list[1] and send a mail with your skill-set/interests.
>
> Alternatively, you can also ask  for guidance on #fedora-india on IRC freenode.
> Thanks.

> </quote>

Just my Rs 4 on this.

I agree strongly that people with no FOSS experience should be
discouraged from taking up the role of and ambassador (thanks to a late
night rant I subjected mether to).

However, since when have we discouraged students from becoming
ambassadors? I thought that most of our indian ambassadors were students
at some point when they started. Also, Students have the most free time and
often the backbone of a FOSS project. Wasn't the Fedora project started
and run by a student as a college project?

I think I understand the sentiment behind susmit's response. But I think
we should be more careful to word our responses such that it is clear
that someone is being considered for the position primarily on their
merits as a (Fedora/FOSS) contributor.

Also, do we discourage students from our Campus Ambassador program as
well :p?
--
Tejas Dinkar
http://gja.in