[fedora-india] Fedora 13 + Firefox + JRE (sun java)

Ashwin ashwin.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 08:18:48 UTC 2010

On Monday 14 June 2010 12:27 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 06/14/2010 12:20 PM, Ashwin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have recently installed Fedora 13 and I use Firefox (3.6.3) for
>> browsing.
>>
>> I downloaded JRE version 6 update 20 from
>> http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp and installed.
>> I also followed the instructions on various help / fedora
>> troubleshooting sites to setup the plugin.
>> As an example one of the sites -
>> http://www.fedoraguide.info/index.php?title=Main_Page#Sun_Java_.28Method_1.29
>>
>> However, the Java JRE plugin does not show up in the Firefox, which I
>> want to use.
>>
>> BTW, the same Firefox (3.6.3) with the same JRE was working flawlessly
>> on Fedora 12.
>>
>> Any pointers, suggestions - anyone ?
>
> Any particular reason why OpenJDK plugin in the repo is not suitable for
> you?  I rather fix that

After a fresh install of Fedora 13 (same was true for Fedora 12 also)
OpenJDK does not show up in *about:plugins* on Firefox.

Therefore, Firefox fails (with plugin missing error) to load the java
applet required in the authentication process of internet banking
website of my banker.

I too prefer to keep my PC full of open source software and use the
least amount of closed source software (even if free for use). I cannot
avoid my banker though. :)

Any pointers to configure the OpenJDK to show up in Firefox, I am
willing to try.

with Regards,
ASHWIN