[fedora-india] Ambassadors in India

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Tue May 11 07:05:36 UTC 2010

hey,

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 12:18 +0530, Ashwin wrote:

> I decided a path forward to spread LINUX when none existed, right from
> Redhat 6.0 days. If you ridicule that effort, may be you are at a loss
> and not me.

We are not ridiculing you. It is your decision to volunteer whole
heartedly for the project and take responsibilities for your actions. We
will gain if you decide to join the community and provide input but will
not lose out if you don't.

The path you decided at that time may not be the one that is needed
anymore. Different situations and different times require different
ideas(paths). It is wrong to maintain the same policies over a period of
change.

> Community activity is more like an advertisement for a short
> while like a meet or event,

It is not. I've been here since F8 and I don't intend to stop being a
part of the community in the future. This depends on your motivation to
work.

>  what is more required is to hand hold and
> spoon feed new converts to LINUX

We do this at our LUGs etc. to get people started into Linux. I don't
believe in spoon feeding people into contributing.

>  and iron out their small difficulties,
> which is only possible by a personal and individual attention.

I disagree. Personal/individual attention means I help one person only.
When Rahul took a workshop on RPM, it helped *many* people and they are
now contributing as packagers. Clearly you see the flaw in your
paradigm.

>  What
> makes you assume that I am not aware or active with LUG in my place ?
>

> > Fedora as a project has been giving lot of resources for ambassadors
> > like server space and also some fedora goodies ( They should encourage
> > you :P )
> >

> I have been around in this activity which pre-dates Fedora.
> The only goodies the Fedora can offer me is to have a little more broad
> minded vision for future, without demanding performance from the
> community in the name of accountability but cajoling them to perform by
> increasing the self-awareness of responsibility one holds in her/his
> position as an ambassador.
>
> with Regards
> ASHWIN

I see I failed miserably in my attempt. You being around before Fedora
is no criterion at all. People were around in 1000BC, doesn't mean their
methods or thinking are better than what we have today.

regards,
Ankur