[fedora-india] Problem with Preupgrade to F14

das das at randomink.org
Wed Nov 10 04:51:08 UTC 2010

Hello Friends

I tried to upgrade from F13 to F14 on my laptop, and it did not work.
Though I started with the WLAN active on the laptop, and all the
download of the packages and all happened through this WLAN, when
preupgrade wanted a reboot, it could not get the Network active. There
was no complexity in the connection, a straight forward manual IP
connection to a plain BSNL router. Even when wireless did not work, I
tried ethernet LAN, that did not work too. Preupgrade was taking a
very long time, and then it was coming back to retry. I tried both
DHCP and manual, for both wireless and ethernet, but it did not work,
without no message or anything. And not that the Network was down at
that moment, because works were going on in the desktop machine all
this time connected through the same router.

Anyway, when 'preupgrade' did not work, I tried the DVD 'upgrade' way,
and it worked smooth and fine. Both the laptop and the desktop have
now got F14 and they are both working as expected.

Now, the problem is that, the whole preupgrade thing is still there in
my laptop. The bootloader is still showing the 'Upgrade to F14'
option, just below the latest F14 kernel option. Though booting into
that 'upgrade' hangs the machine. That is quite predictable, I think.
What can I do to get rid of this whole 'preupgrade' option in GRUB,
and get rid of the preupgrade files and all in the system related with
the upgrade to F14 thing, without disturbing the system?

--
দাশ das
http://ddts.randomink.org/