[fedora-india] Fedora For Kids at FOSS.in

Narendra Sisodiya narendra at narendrasisodiya.com
Sat Oct 16 06:21:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 11:28 PM, Aditya Patawari <adimania at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Create a wiki page with a list of apps that must be included in the
> > spin/remix and then add a wishlist of packages that are not in the repo
> > yet.  Having a explicit task list of things is important if you want to
> > involve others.
> I have created a wiki page at [1].
> Also I have written down the names of Arun, Hiemanshu and Ankur as
> volunteers who agree to help out on this thread. Please feel free to
> add/remove your names.
>
> I am trying to create a package list which are there in Fedora repo as
> well as an apps list which needs to be packaged. Please try to
> populate them as much as you can.
>
> [1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraForKids

Count me in. Seriously
SchoolOS.org list a huge number of application for kids. (Do watch video
too) SchoolOS is ubuntu based distro which is supported by NCERT. The new
verson is planned to have fedora base. We are migrating from ubuntu to
fedora because of bugs found in 10.x series.
I am working in always working in e-learning and FOSS area from last 8
month.
I would suggest to following

* Think that we are trying to give DVD to schools which do  not have
internet. We need to give ISO+Ebook+Videos+InstallGuides
* Create big ISO (do not make live DVD) create install iso. So that we can
ship as many application as we can with FedoraForKids or Schools (who cares
for name ?)
* There are number of user interface improvement present in schoolOS which i
observed while trainig to kids for example tuxpaint save picture in hidden
folder. Student cannot find. So while remixing schoolOS I put a Shortcutlink
in Picture Folder to make there life easy.
* SchoolOS comes with Ebooks. We can include khan academy videos.
* SchoolOS already has a good list of distributor all over india. we need to
increase this list to distribure newer version.
* In DVD, we need to ship unetbootin.exe so that one can install on USB from
Windows system too. Pdf file with all instructions.
* DVD must contain wvdial as sometime internet do not work by network
manager. one cannot download wvdial from Internet.
* now I am using fedora but I always found problem like SElinux. Disable or
do not install SELinux alall. Infact I will suggest to have only one user
(root)
* by default all user must have all permission to do everything. we should
not look for security point of view. Think like a software availabilty point
of view.
* Anaconda must not ask for keyboard, timezone, usernname and otherthings.
it shuld only ask - "Where to install" and install everthing
* Most of the computer which has windwos has virus. After install Linux on
USB , if you insert that USB then windows system modify Autorun.inf (its
true as far as ubuntu live, have not checked in fedora). So we must figure
out a safe way to install Fedora for Kids in USB so that windows virus must
not delete any things.
* I will share most of the setting and config files of schoolos which will
be helpful for fedora for kids
* I am not atall happy with 6month release. Imagine chemistry book contains
screenshot which are not longer application. We must give consistant GUI and
look for next 2-3 year. Putting FOSS in school in altogher different game
and have different stategy.
* We must apply these distro in schools which do not have Internet as pilot
project and then collect feedback. We need to make 2-3 such cycles before
releasing it permantly for next 2-3 years
* We must document the process of Network installation from one DVD to whole
lab OR create better and automated software for that process.
* At the same tiime we must Integrate Sugar and LTSP. Better create
FEdoraForKids-ServerEdition which take care for most of things like LTSP,
network install, central wiki etc
* Please consider this as serious project  -
http://blog.narendrasisodiya.com/2010/10/foss-in-indian-schools-serious-concern.html

--
│    Narendra Sisodiya