[fedora-india] [Event Report] TDD, BDD with Ruby, Rails, Cucumber, Diaspora at PICT, Pune, India

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 12:57:15 UTC 2011

Hi,

I had conducted a session on test driven, behaviour driven development
on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at Pune Institute of Computer Technology
[1], Pune, Maharashtra, India using Ruby, Cucumber, and Rails with
examples from Diaspora [2].

Thanks to Praveen Arimbrathodiyil [3]  for initiating this workshop
and Shreyank Gupta [4] for helping the students during the hands-on
session.

Participants were new to Ruby, and we started off with Ruby in Twenty
Minutes [5]. Using interactive ruby (irb) students were able to
understand the language syntax and its usage. We then moved on to
writing tests in Ruby, and writing them first before writing code.

User stories were introduced with explanation on understanding how
features, and step definitions are written. Cucumber [6] was used to
run through the features with simple examples. We then moved on to
using cucumber with Rails illustrating an example of a Rails blog
application [7]. I had setup Diaspora on my laptop, and had then given
them a visual demo of how cucumber runs feature tests with selenium
webdriver.

Photos take from Shreyank's camera are available at:

  http://www.flickr.com/photos/shreyankg/sets/72157627481625374/

Regards,

SK

[1] Pune Institute of Computer Technology. http://www.pict.edu/

[2] Diaspora. https://joindiaspora.com/

[3] Praveen A. http://www.j4v4m4n.in/

[4] Shreyank Gupta. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Shreyankg

[5] Ruby in Twenty Minutes.
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/quickstart/

[6] Cucumber. http://cukes.info/

[7] Episode 155. Beginning with Cucumber.
http://asciicasts.com/episodes/155-beginning-with-cucumber

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com