[fedora-india] How to write spec file with upgrade option?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 15:27:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Syam <syamcr at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've installed some rpm packages manually, sometimes because I wanted to
> test something before it hit the official repos. I've never observed any
> inconsistency problems while doing so. I was under the impression that the
> 'rpm' command will also update the yum databases so everything will work
> fine. Am I wrong here?

Yum has its own db which holds additional information.  It is complimentary
to RPM db and useful for undo or automatic dependency cleanup.

http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumDB

It is generally recommended that you never use RPM directly for reasons
outlined at

http://illiterat.livejournal.com/7834.html

On a modern system, yum install foo.rpm should be as fast as rpm -ivh
foo.rpm.  If not, that should be reported as a bug.