[fedora-india] [Fwd: Re: [Fedora Freemedia] #6429: Krishna Moorthy A from INDIA wants a i386 DVD.]

Gaurav Menghani gaurav.menghani at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 17:20:13 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Aditya Patawari <adimania at gmail.com> wrote:
> One major thing I found when I used it was that it was very stable and
> I never saw any crash. It turned out that Ubuntu freezes its version
> when it releases its distro. It means that if Ubuntu is initially
> shipped with XYZ-1.0 and with a few days XYZ-2.0 is released, they
> won't update it unless any major security issue is there. As a result
> Ubuntu users do get old stuff at times but that stuff is very well
> tested and hence fewer crashes. In Fedora we try to provide users with
> latest tools and softwares and at times we pay the price of slightly
> unstable release.

I would like to chip in with my experiences of seeing people use
Ubuntu. Apart from the 'stability' thing, one important feature that
Ubuntu has on the install disc is Wubi [0]. If a newcomer gets the
option of trying out Linux without any messing with his/her Windows
partitions, it is a great deal.

Personally, Wubi helped me install Ubuntu on all the computers in one
of the college labs after assuring the people in-charge that doing
this that there would be no harm done to their Windows installation,
and they could uninstall it later if they like, from within Windows,
just like we uninstall any other Windows software. Same was the case
with encouraging friends to use Linux.

No doubt Fedora is awesome, but then new users need to get to use it
first, to realize this.

--
Gaurav Menghani

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide