[fedora-india] [Fwd: Re: [Fedora Freemedia] #6429: Krishna Moorthy A from INDIA wants a i386 DVD.]

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 05:58:31 UTC 2011

On 03/08/2011 09:41 PM, Aditya Patawari wrote:
>> Not true. We do have an update policy that mandates maintainers to avoid
>> major updates to a packages within a stable release.
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Stable_Releases
> I know about the policy but we are more generous regarding this. For
> example, I do remember that Fedora packaged and provided Firefox 4
> when it was released while Ubuntu waited for its next release cycle
> and didn't updated Firefox package.

This is a poor example as Firefox 4 was never pushed as an update in the
official repository and users would have to wait for Fedora 15 unless
they use repos.fedorapeople.org or a third party repository.  However
the updates policy is pretty new and has only been enforced in the last
few months.  Even at this point,  Fedora does have a more liberal
updates policy and we are still tweaking it now and then but I think we
have been fairly successful in not creating any major update regressions
after the new policy has been introduced.  Our goals and focus are
fairly unique.  The focus on being a showcase of the latest free
software and all the face paced innovation is not suitable to everyone.
We have a culture that focused on contributors.  It is important to
recognize that users genuinely have very different needs and Fedora
cannot meet all of them  (proprietary codecs integration,  very long
lifecycle,  commercial support ...) and while we can try and understand
the different perspectives and find areas to improve,  we shouldn't be
pushing Fedora to end users blindly without understanding their
requirements.  Listen rather than preach.   Identify and fix problems
when you can but also recognize that we aren't trying to be everything
for everyone.