[fedora-india] Becoming a Fedora package maintainer, easier than ever

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 08:32:32 UTC 2011

On 03/12/2011 11:27 AM, Ashwin wrote:
> On 03/12/2011 11:09 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> You can become a co-maintainer by agreeing to be mentored by any
>> existing package maintainer and one of the sponsors will sponsor you
>> based on this agreement to work together.
> Inclusion vs. Selection. I am now interested, tell me, what I can do and
> how ?

If you are interested in becoming a co-maintainer for a package, you
will have to contact the maintainer in question and request them to
mentor you.   The first thing, you got to do is read about the process
and guidelines and make yourself familiar with it as much as possible.
I recommend the following references

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_a_GNU_Hello_RPM_package

If you want me to mentor,  The packages I maintain are listed at

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/users/packages/sundaram

You can chose one in this list to be a co-maintainer or I can pick one
for you.  Among these, aria2, transmission,  deja-dup, simple-scan,
shotwell and transmission-remote-cli get frequent updates.  Others less
so.    When upstream does a new release,  you can prepare a spec file
patch and I can help you commit it and push an update.  I can also
answer any questions related to any of this.   We can do that here or
offlist if necessary.