[fedora-india] [Event Report] "From Python to Silicon" - PyCon India, September 16-18, 2011

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 09:51:07 UTC 2011

Hi,

I had presented "From Python to Silicon: python-myhdl" talk at PyCon
India 2011, September 16-18, 2011 at Symbiosis, Pune, India.

The first day of the (un)conference was filled with tutorials. I
attended the "Functional Programming with Python" talk by Anand
Chitipothu [1]. He had illustrated list comprehensions, recursions,
higher-order functions, iterators and generators in Python with
numerous examples.

On the second day, I attended the keynote by Raymond Hettinger on
"What Makes Python Awesome" [2]. It was a very informative talk
illustrating the key characteristics of Python, and the community that
surrounds it.

I also attended the "Python on Android" [3] talk by Sajjad Anwar, who
gave simple examples using android-scripting [4]. The "Emacs as a
Python IDE" [5] talk by Noufal Ibrahim had useful tips and tricks on
using Emacs for development work, and issue tracking using org-mode
[6]. I also attended the "Decorators as Composable Abstractions" [7]
by Sidhant Godiwala which was an introduction to using decorators in
Python.

On the final day of the event, I attended "Network Programming with
Umit Project" [8] by Narendran Thangaranjan who gave demos on network
protocol implementation, and testing in Python using the Umit project
[9]. Jivitesh Singh Dhaliwal gave a demo of using PySerial to control
robots in the "Python in the Real World: From Blinking LEDs to
Advanced Robotics" [10] talk.

My presentation slides are available [11]. Thanks to Christopher
Felton for his valuable feedback.

Few photos taken during the event are available at my /gallery [12].

SK

[1] Functional programming with Python.
http://in.pycon.org/2011/talks/4-functional-programming-with-python

[2] What makes Python awesome.
http://ep2011.europython.eu/conference/talks/what-makes-python-so-awesome

[3] Python on Android. http://in.pycon.org/2011/talks/13-python-on-android

[4] android-scripting. http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/

[5] Emacs as a Python IDE.
http://in.pycon.org/2011/talks/7-emacs-as-a-python-ide

[6] Org-mode. http://orgmode.org/

[7] Decorators as Composable Abstractions.
http://in.pycon.org/2011/talks/43-decorators-as-composable-abstractions

[8] Network Programming with Umit Project.
http://in.pycon.org/2011/talks/35-network-programming-with-umit-project

[9] Umit project. http://www.umitproject.org/

[10] Python in the Real World: From Blinking LEDs to Advanced
Robotics. http://in.pycon.org/2011/talks/30-python-in-the-real-world-from-everyday-applications-to-advanced-robotics

[11] From Python to Silicon: python-myhdl.
http://shakthimaan.com/downloads.html#from-python-to-silicon

[12] Photos. http://www.shakthimaan.com/Mambo/gallery/album70

--
Shakthi Kannan