[fedora-india] SSH KeepAlive with Switched Networks

Saurabh Sharma luckysharma11 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:57:55 UTC 2011

Is there a way to overcome this situation.

Situation :
I’m on a LAN [in office] connected to remote server over SSH [using
gnome terminal], now I've to go over for a meeting on another floor
along with my notebook. I switch on to mine office WLAN with a descent
90+ signal strength, Network manager shows both connections there as
connected. I disconnect my LAN connection and now on WLAN when i try
working on the server to which i was connected, the server is not
responding to my keystrokes as if the connection broke and i have to
make a new connection to the server in order to use it in a new tab.
The old connection [the one over LAN ] breaks after some time, with a
timeout message.

Configuration tried out :
I have the settings done for keeping SSH session alive by adding entry
'ServerAliveInterval 30' to '/etc/ssh/ssh_config', but that fails to
work in my case. It only supports in case e.g. i connect to a server
over LAN [ have both LAN and WLAN active ]. I break the LAN
connection, now over WLAN the server does NOT shows any response to my
keystrokes [let it be ENTER key]. I connect back to the LAN, and it
works, also all of my previous key strokes are responded to.

Any help will be great.

OS : Fedora 14
OpenSSH_5.5p1, OpenSSL 1.0.0e-fips 6 Sep 2011
NetworkManager Applet 0.8.4