[fedora-india] Fonts packaging

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 01:29:20 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 12:14 -0700, Sourav Basu wrote:
> Hello,
> I wanted to start contributing to the Fedora project by starting to
> package fonts as I heard its the best and easiest way to start. But
> there's too much of documentation that gets confusing. I don't know
> which commands to use and how to build. Can you help me out please?
> Thanks,
> Sourav

Hi Sourav,

There are specific guidelines for font packaging here in the font
packaging lifecycle[1]. Have you looked at these yet? I suggest you look
at a simple font that is already in Fedora and understand the spec. You
can then try to write your spec in a similar manner. Please do ensure
you've read the "how to create an rpm" page on the wiki[2]. This
contains essential information on the spec file. The "how to package a
hello world" wiki page is another page you *must* go through.

Quite a few of us are around on the #fedora/#fedora-india/#fedora-devel
IRC channels. If you run into issues, you can always ask for help there.
Here's how to get started with the IRC[4]

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Font_package_lifecycle
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package
[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_a_GNU_Hello_RPM_package
[4] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/IRCHowTo