[fedora-india] Need Help regarding packaging & Deployment of Java Application For Linux !!!!

tuxdna tuxdna at gmail.com
Sun May 20 19:27:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Navdeep Singh Sidhu
<navdeepsingh.sidhu95 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,

Hi

> I need some suggestions & help for my project. I am making an application
> more as Download Manager in JAVA for Linux. But i am not so expert in Linux
> so i need to know following things:
> 1. how can i install this application in Linux ?
You would need to package t as a RPM package. Once you create a RPM
installation is trivial. Be sure the check the packaging guidelines of
JAVA software as a RPM package here [1].

> 2. how to add in startup programs ?
If it is a GUI/Desktop application then you can add it to your
respective desktop's start-up applications list.

> 3. Which is best  to create installer script(.sh) or .deb/.rpm file for JAVA
> application?
RPM

> 4. How to create Launcher for Java Application in Linux?

What do you mean by a launcher?
If it is a system service, then you create an init script.
If you want a shortcut icon somewhere on the applications menu /
desktop, you can create a shortcut icon ( a .desktop file ) as
described in [2].

HTH,
tuxdna

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Java