[fedora-india] Open Sundays - Chennai - Idea Proposal

Dwaraka Nath dtsdwarak at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 31 15:59:48 UTC 2013

Hey Chennaiites,

Geek culture is not something new to Chennai. For years, this city has been home to numerous geeks, developers, bloggers, hackers and a multitude of free software enthusiasts.  Chennai also has a large number of OSS communities – much of them being splinter groups. But, the problem inherent to the communities here is that they are small in size, there is no proper outreach medium and above all there is no coordination between the various groups.

Of course, each of us have different motives and goals. But, on the whole, in one way or the other, each community envisions the same thing - promote the web, technology and  software freedom in an “open way”. That cannot happen unless we have a unified approach.

Also, it has been a very long time since Chennai has played host to any big OSS conference, meetup or movement as such. I guess its time we change things.

This is where we introduce “Open Sundays“ - a day full of activity sprints, unconferences, workshops, talks, hackathons, where various community members, enthusiasts, students and geeks in Chennai region come together - all under a single roof. Open Sundays can provide a great platform for like minded people to come together, promote inter-community coordination and exchange of knowledge and know-how.

As such, let’s not try to hit big at the very beginning. The event can take place once every two or three months during weekends, preferably Sundays. What we require is a set of rooms - probably an office space with internet connection can get us started. All that we are aiming, is to create a banner under which all the communities in Chennai region can come together and work towards something unique and constructive.

Let us all be a part of this initiative and create something big. If there are any ideas or suggestions, that you may have to improve this, I’m all ears :)

Thanks,
Dwarak
Mozilla India Community Member,
http://www.dwarak.in