[fedora-india] Fedora Users Meet - Bangalore - July 2014

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 00:52:37 UTC 2014

Hi Sudhir,

On Wed, 2014-07-16 at 19:45 +0530, Sudhir Khanger wrote:
> I am new to Fedora. Even after using Arch for over a year
> writing .spec or building rpm looks like a daunting task. It would be
> nice of you guys to host a how to write .spec file and how to do rpm
> packaging class over IRC.

Multiple "how to make an rpm" workshops have already been held in the
past. Generally, we just walk through this wiki page:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package

The problem here is that each package uses a different build system, and
if upstream isn't following standards, you often need to patch the build
project files.

I suggest you follow the wiki page and attempt to build your package. If
you do get stuck, please head over to #fedora-india or #fedora-devel OR
#fedora-join on Freenode and we'll help you out.

> Kushal Das is conducting dgplug summer training[1] and I am sure a lot
> of folks from there are going to be interested.

Sure. If you can collect a group of folks that would benefit from a
workshop, we can look at hosting another one. If they are all dgplug
folks, Kushal could take a quick one in person too - which will probably
be more beneficial.

I'd taken one recently. Logs are here:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-classroom/2014-04-24/ros-rpm_irc_session_2:_rpm_packaging_basics.2014-04-24-10.05.log.html

Here's the link to Shakti's presentation on RPM packaging:
http://shakthimaan.com/downloads.html#packaging-red-hot-paneer-butter-masala

--
Thanks,
Warm regards,