[fedora-india] Fedora India budget FY 16-17

Tue Dec 1 02:57:23 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 9:02 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar
<siddhesh.poyarekar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 November 2015 at 18:55, Aditya Patawari <adimania at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sounds good. We can also put a cap like we will only fund up to, say,
>> 1000 USD per person. Or something similar.
>
> In principle I remain not-a-fan of reserving APAC budget for Flock
> attendance.  If the only reason a speaker is declined is because (s)he
> is not from NA/EMEA then I consider that discriminatory (you can't
> call Flock a global event and an NA/EMEA event in the same breath) and
> if there are technical reasons for it then I don't consider it
> worthwhile for the APAC budget to be dipped into unless there is
> something that is specifically interesting for our region, such as
> i18n/l10n or problems/solutions specific to our region.

I agree with you. There are certain specific bits we should be mindful
about. One, this sets a precedent that the budget meant for specific
community-growth plans can be used to fund individual contributor
presence at events. Two, this encourages the larger project to be
somewhat lazy about budget allocations for travel. Three, more
specifically, be complacent around supporting speakers based on the
weight of their contributions or, the merit of their content. Four, it
is likely that money which can be used as a basis to generate new
ideas to grow the community would not be diverted and exhausted on
long-haul (and somewhat expensive) trips, even with a cap of 1000 USD.

The only time this plan of funding an individual contributor to attend
a conference 'not in India' would be appropriate is when all the plans
for the allocation have been completed and there is money left over to
be assigned to miscellaneous items. It is good to be conscious about
the reason a budget is allocated to APAC and be planful around it.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>