[fedora-india] About Pre-requisite of Hackfest

Giriraj Sharma giriraj.sharma27 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 08:27:45 UTC 2015

Agreed and well said.
I simply meant that if a hackfest is conducted regarding how to begin
contributing to open source, we can add or give an overview about GSOC/OPW
as popular programs for working full time on big open source projects.
GSoC/OPW will not be a part of central/main focus of hackfest. *The main
idea and theme of hackfest would still remain Contribution to Open Source
for extreme beginners and how to get started[1] with it easily.*

[1]
http://blog.hackerearth.com/2014/03/how-to-get-started-with-open-source.html

wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Giriraj Sharma
> <giriraj.sharma27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It will also be good if you mention about popular open source
> contribution
> > programs like GSoC and OPW.
>
> GSoC, OPW and similar programs do expect a reasonable familiarity with
> the project as well as appreciation of how large projects work (eg.
> communication methods, bug tracker, documentation etc). Particularly,
> <
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2015/help_page#13._Should_students_contact_the
> >
> is relevant.
>
> 10. Should students contact the mentoring organization before the
> program begins?
>
> If you're interested in contributing to a particular open source
> project, there's no need to wait forGoogle Summer of Code to start;
> start talking in the project's IRC channel, subscribe to the
> development mailing lists, take a look through the bug tracker and
> submit a patch. If you see something that you think would make a
> particularly good project for Google Summer of Code, why not suggest
> it to the organization?
>

> --
> sankarshan mukhopadhyay
> <https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>

Giriraj Sharma,
Department of Computer Science
National Institute of Technology Hamirpur
Himachal Pradesh, India