[fedora-india] FUDCon planning meeting 27-Jan-2015 - minutes

Amit Shah amitshah at gmx.net
Wed Jan 28 10:31:00 UTC 2015

On (Tue) 27 Jan 2015 [22:43:46], Rejy M Cyriac wrote:
> On 01/27/2015 08:01 PM, P J P wrote:
> >    Hello,
> >
> > The news of hosting FUDCon APAC in Pune this year has filled everyone with great energy. Today we held the first round of open discussions towards organising FUDCon APAC 2015. :)
> >

> Maybe the fact that there was going to be a 'FUDCon Pune Planning
> meeting' on 27 Jan 2015 should have been sent to the Fedora India
> mailing list at least.

This was a first meeting, to gauge how much participation we'll have
from the immediately local community (ie at the RH office).

We do plan to invite all the local (to Pune) people to these
meetings.  In fact, we did that last time around as well.  No one else
turned up last time, but that doesn't mean this time can't be
different.

Also, if we have enough outside people, we can move the meeting to a
non-RH location (e.g. the MIT COE campus, or some place else).

We definitely don't want to work in a silo, if that's the impression
you got.

> The more the word is spread, the better the chances of having an awesome
> event. I remember from the last FudCon at Pune, that having more number
> of enthusiastic volunteers could have made it an even better experience
> for the participants.
>
> In my opinion, we should learn from the PyCon India organisers, who go
> all out to invite and welcome volunteers, and in response a large number
> of volunteers come together from different parts of the country to make
> the event happen.
>
> Disappointed. :-/

No need to be; it's early days, and what's needed right now is
feedback and not emotion :-)

I'd love to get non-Pune people involved too.  Sinny mentioned she
could join over hangouts.  Not sure if we can do that all the time,
but it's an idea and we should try it for the next Tuesday meeting.

Overall, though, my feeling is that these meetings are more or less
going to be status updates once responsibilities are identified.  And
to volunteer oneself for some area doesn't need meetings, just needs
people to step up.

So if people here are willing to step up, please send an email, and
we'll keep connecting over whatever medium is suitable for that
activity.  E.g. for people who can help with travel and transportation
of intl speakers, we have 3/4 volunteers already.  If someone else
wants to join that team, please let us know via email, and those 3/4
people can figure out a way to sync weekly.  The Tuesday f2f meeting
can then have a status update from whoever is present physically.  If
someone's not present at the f2f meeting, we can get the update via
etherpad or irc.  Not a big deal.

Also keep in mind that the FPL and fudcon-planning meetings happen on
IRC with the even owners and organisers.  I think the duration is
fortnightly to begin with, and then the frequency increases as the
event comes closer.  These meetings are crucial for deciding which
tickets are accepted and which aren't.

Tickets are the only way to request travel sponsorship, so people
looking forward to travel have to open a trac ticket, and then each
ticket gets discussed during one of these fudcon-planning IRC
meetings.

Also, you would've noticed we weren't hesitant to send out the meeting
minutes.  Anything that gets discussed is put out in the open.  You
can even help by spotting mistakes / errors or doing general
bookkeeping by ensuring we're staying true to the cause.

Looking forward to more participation!

		Amit
--
http://log.amitshah.net/