[fedora-india] The new fudcon.in!

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh.poyarekar at gmail.com
Mon May 18 06:42:00 UTC 2015

Hi,

fudcon.in now has a completely new look and more importantly, is brand
new under the hood.

We faced a lot of limitations with the old Drupal 6.x instance that
fudcon.in was running on.  Specifically, we found it difficult
(impossible?) to show the speaker bio in talks or any kind of rich
information in various pages.  Finding support for Drupal COD 6.x was
next to impossible - the only response we got was "I don't think a lot
of people use COD 6.x anymore".

So a couple of weeks ago we finally bit the bullet and made the move
to Drupal COD 7.x.  The move was not easy because the two schemas are
not compatible at all.  We could manage to migrate 6.x users to 7.x,
but we had to enter all of the content by hand once again and then
continuously check to make sure that we weren't losing any data.

There are a few breaking changes due to this:

1. Non-accepted talks are no longer published.  That is, you can see
your submission if you're logged in, but unless the session is
accepted, others won't be able to see your abstract.

2. The links for sessions have changed.  This is because Drupal COD
7.x introduced the concept of namespaces for conferences, putting all
sessions for that conference into a separate namespace.  This is great
because it is now possible to seamlessly add conferences to the same
instance and have them coexist.

Please try this website out and let us know if anything is broken.  We
will be reaching out to speakers soon to let them know of the new
website and making sure that their experience with editing the
abstract or uploading slides is seamless.

Siddhesh
--
http://siddhesh.in