[fedora-india] DVD distribution and their impact

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh.poyarekar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 07:06:21 UTC 2015

> All these locations receive the DVD and thus roughly 2000 individuals
> (not all new/unique) receive F23 media. What happens next?

I personally consider DVDs to be smarter stickers, buttons or flyers,
i.e. promotional media that has digital content.  In that context, the
impact of DVDs is similar to impact of stickers: they help improve
brand awareness at conferences and meetups.  There is the other aspect
of enabling individuals who may otherwise not have the bandwidth to
download the distirbution and try it themselves.  The freemedia
program tries to reach out to such people, but like you, I am not very
convinced about its utility in attracting long term users or
contributors.

That said, there seems to be quite a bit of interest in DVDs (from
conference attendees and consequently, ambassadors) regardless of our
apprehensions and that says something even though we don't quite know
what.

I don't think DVD production is that big a cost that we need to put so
much thought into potentially replacing it with something else.  If
there's an alternative that needs evaluation (like a device that
allows people to plug USB sticks in and copy a bootable distribution
copy, that sounds like a nice engineering project), we should bring it
up first, try it and then decide if DVD production is putting cost
pressure on that alternative.

Siddhesh
--
http://siddhesh.in